| | | From our notebook | Meanwhile, health workers in the Democratic Republic of Congo say they know how to stop Ebola outbreaks; what they lack now are the resources. Sweeping cuts by the United States and other Western countries have left frontline health agencies dangerously underprepared as this Ebola outbreak erupted, Rael Ombuor, Rachel Chason, Lauren Weber and Lena H. Sun report in a story for The Post. → U.S. foreign assistance to Congo plummeted from roughly $1.4 billion in 2024 and $430 million in 2025 to about $21 million allocated for fiscal 2026, according to U.S. government data. The outbreak has spread with alarming speed. By Wednesday, the WHO had identified nearly 600 suspected cases and an estimated 139 deaths, almost double the suspected caseload reported just days earlier. When the WHO declared the outbreak a global public health emergency on Sunday, there had been an estimated 88 deaths. Earlier this year, the U.S. formally exited WHO, citing unfair financial demands, its handling of the coronavirus pandemic and a failure to implement reforms. → As cases have surged, aid groups and health officials told my colleagues they lack the staff, emergency supplies and training for health care workers that they need to quickly detect early infections or contain the virus. Manenji Mangundu, Oxfam’s country director in Congo, said that at the same point during previous outbreaks, there were more coordination centers set up by the WHO, more personal protective equipment coming in, and more isolation and triage centers established. While there are daily cross-agency meetings about coordination that occur with representatives from the WHO, the CDC, the United Nations, nonprofit organizations and Congolese officials, Mangundu said funding requests are often met with blank stares. The State Department has sharply rejected assertions by aid groups that cuts to the U.S. Agency for International Development impacted the ability to respond to Ebola, The Post reports. Tommy Pigott, a spokesperson for the department, said in a statement Tuesday that U.S. efforts were “more aligned and effective” because funding is coming through an agency within the State Department rather than a separate entity such as USAID. Pigott announced that the U.S. would fund 50 treatment centers, and in recent days said the U.S. had mobilized $23 million in bilateral assistance to Congo to help contain the outbreak. But, on the ground, humanitarian organizations say the effects of funding cuts by the U.S. and some European countries have been unmistakable. The International Rescue Committee said nearly 60 percent of its health facilities in the outbreak zone closed last year after funding dried up. CARE said it lost nearly one-third of its budget after the Trump administration dismantled USAID, and the humanitarian organization said it had to lay off dozens of community health workers. Read the full story: “Ebola responders say aid cuts by Western nations left them ill-equipped for outbreak.” |